James David Dickson The Detroit News
Published 6:59 AM EDT Sep 11, 2019
Detroit — At least three people have been killed by homicide in Detroit since midnight Wednesday, police said.
Two were shootings, while the third is what police describe as a “deliberate” hit-and-run stemming from an argument.
All three homicides took place on the city’s west side.
Argument at coney shop leads to fatal crash
Police say a hit-and-run victim, a 58-year-old man, argued with a man believed to be in his 40s, at a coney island restaurant at about 3:25 a.m. on the 8000 block of West Eight Mile. That’s west of Livernois.
The hostility carried over into the parking lot, where the man he was arguing with “deliberately struck” the victim, according to a statement from police. Medics pronounced him dead at the scene.
Police believe the driver drove a burgundy pickup truck, possibly a Ford. He may have had a female passenger.
Last year in Michigan, arguments were the leading known circumstance preceding homicides, according to Michigan State Police data.
Man found shot in gold Saturn
Forty minutes earlier, at about 2:40 a.m., an unidentified man, believed to be between 20 and 30 years old, was found shot inside of a gold 1999 Saturn, police said.
The victim was found on the 17000 block of Pinehurst, wearing a yellow shirt and gray gym shorts That’s south of West McNichols and west of Wyoming. He had been shot multiple times. Medics pronounced him dead at the scene.
Police say a man was spotted at the driver’s side of the vehicle, firing gunshots into it. That man was last seen headed running north on Pinehurst, shirtless. No detailed description of the shooter was immediately available.
Man gunned down in drive-by
The violence started about 1:30 a.m. with a drive-by shooting on Plainview, north of Joy Road and east of Evergreen.
Police say a 27-year-old man was shot in his chest by a man “riding in a gold Pontiac Grand Am,” but are unclear on the circumstances preceding the shooting.
No detailed suspect description was immediately available.
- Stephon Clark-inspired bill to limit police killings in California shelved for the year
- Baltimore police kill man suspected of shooting at officers
- The Latest: Local concerns after Kansas City police kill 3
- India police killings alarm UN rights experts and Supreme Court
- Suicide, not police, killed California festival gunman
- Egypt: Police Kill Six Islamic Terrorists in Cairo Suburb
- World View: India’s Kashmir Locked Down After Police Kill 3 Civilians
- M6 closed as police declare ‘major incident’ and search lorries leaving Man City and Burton Albion fans stuck in jams
- Texas Police Kill Naked Black 17-Year-Old
- Police kill suspect at North Carolina shopping center