By Associated Press | | PUBLISHED: September 10, 2019 at 1:11 pm | UPDATED: September 10, 2019 at 1:11 pm By JOSEF FEDERMAN JERUSALEM — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed on Tuesday to annex the heart of the West Bank if he wins re-election next week, a move that could inflame the Middle East and extinguish any remaining Palestinian hope of establishing a separate state. Arab leaders angrily condemned Netanyahu’s remarks, and a U.N. spokesman warned the step would be “devastating” to the prospects for a two-state solution. Netanyahu said he would extend Israeli sovereignty over the Jordan Valley — an area seen as the breadbasket of any Palestinian state — shortly after forming a new government and would move later to annex other Jewish settlements.Such action would swallow up most of the West Bank territory sought by the Palestinians, leaving them with little more than isolated enclaves. Netanyahu said it was important to act as President Donald Trump prepares to unveil his Mideast peace plan after the Sept. 17 election. “This is a historic opportunity, a one-time opportunity, to extend Israeli sovereignty on our settlements in Judea and Samaria, and also on other important regions for our security,… Read full this story
- Israeli Law Should Apply to West Bank Settlements, Netanyahu Says
- Despite virus, Pompeo in Israel to talk West Bank annexation
- Despite virus, Pompeo talks West Bank annexation in Israel
- Set for new term, Netanyahu eyes risky West Bank annexation
- Mike Pompeo meets Netanyahu to discuss West Bank annexation
- UK Would Not Back Israeli 'Annexation of Parts of West Bank', Junior Foreign Office Minister Says
- Israeli Soldier Killed by a Rock in West Bank Raid is First IDF Casualty of 2020
- EU 'to rally against Israel's West Bank annexation proposal'
- France pushing for tough EU response to any West Bank annexation - diplomats
- Military: Palestinian Rock-thrower Kills Israeli Soldier in West Bank
Netanyahu vows to begin annexing West Bank settlements have 308 words, post on www.dailynews.com at September 10, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.