Aron Heller, Associated Press
Updated 11:33 am CDT, Sunday, September 1, 2019
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, right, greets students as they wave Israeli flags during a ceremony opening the school year in the Jewish settlement of Elkana in the Israeli-occupied West Bank Sunday, Sep. 1, 2019. (Amir Cohen/Pool Photo via AP) lessIsraeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, right, greets students as they wave Israeli flags during a ceremony opening the school year in the Jewish settlement of Elkana in the Israeli-occupied West Bank … more
Photo: Amir Cohen, AP
Photo: Amir Cohen, AP
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s prime minister kicked off the unofficial start of his new election campaign with a move straight out of his old playbook: attacking the media and pandering to his nationalist base.
After a sleepy summer, longtime Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu has launched a blistering assault on an Israeli TV channel, accusing it of tarnishing him and fomenting anti-Semitism.
He’s also used the opening of the new school year to pledge he would annex and expand Jewish West Bank settlements.
It was a dramatic escalation in the long-time war he’s been waging against the local media, which he routinely accuses of conspiring against him.
Israel is holding an unprecedented do-over election this month after Netanyahu failed to secure a parliamentary majority in April’s vote.
- Israeli PM's former protege could now bring his downfall
- Embattled Israeli PM fights for survival in do-over election
- ‘Blood on His Hands’: NYT’s Bret Stephens Drops Stunning Column on Trump’s Anti-Media Attacks
- Son of Israeli PM attacks journalist, draws condemnation
- Twitter Temporarily Freezes Former Sheriff David Clarke's Account Over Anti-Media Tweets
- Anchor at Sinclair-Owned Station Slams Trump for Defending Anti-Media Campaign: ‘This Isn’t Funny at All’
- Trump Responds to Chuck Todd Op-Ed on Anti-Media Rhetoric: I Fought the Press and ‘WON’
- NBC’s Chuck Todd Blames Roger Ailes and Fox News for Current Anti-Media Environment
- Sinclair Chairman Defends Scripted Anti-Media Promos as ‘Standard Practice in the Industry’
- Sinclair Journalists Reportedly Outraged After Company Forces Stations to Air Anti-Media ‘Propaganda’