Apple’s original TV series Dickinson made its debut at the Tribeca TV Festival this weekend. The series is about the life of poet Emily Dickinson.
This is the first time the public has seen one of Apple’s new TV+ shows. The show will officially debut on November 1 when Apple TV+ launches.
Deadline writes that Dickinson mixes “drama, comedy and romance steeped in literary history.” The show is likened to Baz Luhrmann’s film Romeo + Juliet by mixing historical and contemporary styles. It will feature songs by artists like Billie Eilish and rapper Wiz Khalifa in the role of Death.
Alena Smith says that she was trying to show a person with a, “modern consciousness trapped in a pre-modern time.” She also said that the show plays fast and loose with real events. “Look, folks, let me break it to you — spoiler — her life was boring.”
Dickinson: Coming soon
DickinsonHailee Steinfeld (True Grit, Bumblebee) as the 19th-century American poet. Apple showed off its first trailer for the show in late August. At the time, I commented on the contemporary style and the show’s punky, feminist aesthetic:
“With its hip 21st century take on a historical drama, Dickinson reminds me of Sofia Coppola’s 2006 movie Marie Antoinette. Coming shortly after Apple’s #MeToo-era trailer for The Morning Show, it suggests that Apple TV+ will embrace social issues in a big way.”
Dickinson teaser trailer showed the young writer rebelling against societal norms as words from her poem Wild Nights scrawl across the screen.
- Wild thing! Angela Bishop, 51, rocks a leopard print dress and leather boots for Michael Hutchence documentary premiere at Sydney Film Festival
- Roman Polanski’s Film Premieres at Venice Film Festival to Applause
- Hofit Golan leaves nothing to the imagination in a sheer pink gown as she arrives in style for Adults In The Room premiere at Venice Film Festival
- ‘I finally cracked it’: An abridged history of Apple’s TV efforts over the years
- Cate Blanchett, 50, cuts a glamorous figure in a strapless black gown with silver stripes as she leads arrivals for the Joker premiere at Venice Film Festival
- Figuring out Apple’s TV plans with Recode’s Peter Kafka
- Paris Hilton dazzles in silver dress at Tribeca premiere of her new documentary The American Meme
- Apple Encouraged By Early Sampling Data On Apple TV+ Programming, Confirms ‘For All Mankind’, ‘See’ and ‘Dickinson Renewals
- Glastonbury Festival 2019: Kylie Minogue rocks a £50,000 gold dress as she makes FIVE outfit changes during her sensational performance
- Apple details Apple Arcade and TV Plus services, with potentially disruptive $4.99 subscriptions