WASHINGTON D.C. [USA]: Consuming flavonoid-rich items such as apples and tea protects against cancer and heart disease, particularly for smokers and heavy drinkers, suggests a recent research. Researchers from Edith Cowan Universit’s School of Medical and Health Sciences analysed data from the Danish Diet, Cancer and Health cohort that assessed the diets of 53,048 Danes over 23 years. According to the study published in the journal – Nature Communications – researchers found that people, who habitually consumed moderate to high amounts of foods rich in flavonoids, compounds found in plant-based foods and drinks, were less likely to die from cancer or heart disease. Lead researcher Dr Nicola Bondonno said while the study found a lower risk of death in those who ate flavonoid-rich foods, the protective effect appeared to be strongest for those at high risk of chronic diseases due to cigarette smoking and those who drank more than two standard alcoholic drinks a day. “These findings are important as they highlight the potential to prevent cancer and heart disease by encouraging the consumption of flavonoid-rich foods, particularly in people at high risk of these chronic diseases. But it’s also important to note that flavonoid consumption does not counteract all… Read full this story
- Having a high BMI is linked to a higher risk of death from cancer, heart disease and all other major causes – except transport accidents
- Eating Cheese Doesn't Increase Your Risk of Heart Disease and Stroke
- Tories let firms set their own salt limits causing heart disease and strokes for thousands
- Can Keto diet 'protect' you from Coronavirus?
- Why Indians face heart disease risk more, finds out US doctor of Kerala origin
- Prosecutor: Man in police custody died from heart disease
- Eating an egg a day is NOT bad for you – scientists find it won’t raise risk of heart disease or stroke
- How the coronavirus is deadliest for the over-80s and how patients with underlying health problems from heart disease and asthma are most vulnerable
- US heart surgeon treats children lacking care in Libya’s war
- How to beat high cholesterol in 9 easy ways including apples, walking and fasting
Stock fridge with apples, broccoli: Flavonoid-rich diet can protect against cancer, heart disease have 357 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at August 16, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.