A woman in England died after falling onto a reusable metal straw, which pierced her head; and the tragic accident has renewed debate over bans on plastic straws, according to news reports.
The woman, 60-year-old Elena Struthers-Gardner, was carrying a glass with a 10-inch-long stainless-steel straw when she fell and the straw impaled her eye, causing fatal brain injuries, according to the Daily Echo, a British newspaper. Struthers-Gardner had scoliosis, or a sideways curvature of the spine, which made her prone to falls.
Struthers-Gardner died in November, and a coroner’s report on her death was released this week, according to The New York Times. The report called her death an accident.
Several U.S. cities and states have already banned plastic straws to prevent more plastic from entering the environment, and a similar ban is set to take effect in England in April 2020, the Times reported.
But the bans have sparked concern among people with disabilities and their advocates, who say the bans make straws unavailable for those with disabilities who rely on them to drink, according to NPR. In addition, the rigidity of reusable metal straws may pose safety risks.
“I just feel that in the hands of mobility challenged people like Elena [Struthers-Gardner], or children, or even able-bodied people losing their footing, these [straws] are so long and very strong,” Mandy Struthers-Gardner, Elena’s wife, said in a statement, the Daily Echo reported. “Even if they don’t end a life, they can be very dangerous.”
In 2016, Starbucks recalled 2.5 million stainless-steel straws due to reports of young children who experienced mouth lacerations from using the straws, according to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Brendan Allen, the assistant coroner involved in Struthers-Gardner’s case, also warned about the potential dangers of metal straws. “Clearly, great care should be taken when using these metal straws. There is no give in them at all,” Allen said.
He added that in this case, the metal straw may have been particularly hazardous because it was used with a lid that prevented it from moving. “It seems to me these metal straw should not be used with any form of lid that holds them in place,” Allen said. “It seems the main problem here is if the lid hadn’t been in place the straw would have moved away.”
- In Images: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
- In Photos: World’s 10 Most Polluted Places
- Top 10 Craziest Environmental Ideas
Originally published on Live Science.
- Woman dies in Phuket Town road crash
- Hospital under fire as injured woman dies
- Woman dies from centipede bite, shrugged off warning to avoid it
- Woman dies, girl seriously injured in Krabi head-on collision
- US woman dies of infection resistant to all 26 available antibiotics
- Woman dies after being hit by reversing garbage truck in downtown alleyway
- Woman dies after being hit by truck on Eglinton Ave.
- Singaporean woman dies in bus crash en route to Genting Highlands in Malaysia
- Elderly woman dies after she was struck by a vehicle in Scarborough
- Elderly woman dies from dengue fever in third such death this year