Police in Moscow have detained more than 1,000 people at a rally, in one of the biggest crackdowns in years.Demonstrators were dragged away from the city hall as security forces used batons against the crowd.People were protesting against the exclusion of opposition candidates from local polls. The opposition say they were barred for political reasons.Some of the candidates banned from standing in the 8 September election had been detained earlier. Officials disqualified about 30 people, saying they had failed to collect enough valid signatures to stand. Moscow crackdown in pictures Russia country profile At least 1,074 arrests were made at the banned rally, officials say, while monitors reported 1,127 detentions.Moscow’s Mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, has called the demonstration a “security threat”, and promised to maintain public order.Anger is widespread among opposition supporters at the way the city is run and the ruling United Russia party.Opposition leader Alexei Navalny, a fierce critic of President Vladimir Putin, was jailed for 30 days on Wednesday after calling for Saturday’s unapproved demonstration.Mr Putin was on a trip to the Baltic Sea on Saturday for a dive in a submersible. “There are a lot of problems on Earth, so to diminish their amount one has to… Read full this story
- Thousands march in Moscow demanding open city elections
- Russia detains opposition leader Alexei Navalny after massive protest in Moscow
- Russia accuses YouTube of interfering in its sovereign affairs
- Moscow’s peaceful protests enrage the Kremlin because its only tool is violence
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny's "poisoning" could fuel anti-Putin protests
- Police arrest nearly 1,400 in Moscow following election board ban of opposition candidates, opposition leader hospitalized
- Enemy of the State -- Putin's loudest critic
- Moscow protests: Students fighting for democracy in Russia
- Moscow protests: Opposition rally 'largest since 2011'
Russia protests: Thousand arrests at Moscow rally have 300 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at July 27, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.