CIOs long ago shed their perception as order-taking technologists to those with a seat at the executive table, a badge of honor that underscores their arrival as trusted business partners. But to retain this elevated status in an era when businesses are increasingly leaning into digital capabilities, today’s IT leaders must now co-create new products and services for customers.
That may sound daunting for CIOs, many of whom are modernizing IT systems and spearheading digital transformations. But consider that CIOs are best positioned among their C-suite peers to co-create with business partners. Design thinking, agile practices, an increasing emphasis on learning about customers’ needs — IT leaders are uniquely steeped in what drives business strategy.
While many consider this phenomenon IT-business alignment, co-evolution may be a better metaphor. Borrowed from biology, co-evolution encompasses organic synergies among IT and business, as well as with partners and the broader ecosystems at work in a sector, said Joe Peppard, principal research scientist of MIT’s Sloan Center for Information Systems Research, at the MIT Sloan CIO Symposium in Cambridge, Mass., in May.
“In the past, business defined how to solve a problem and looked to IT to solve it,” said Belkis Vasquez-McCall, a partner at McKinsey Digital, at the Symposium. “Now IT executives are co-defining the problem and leading the evolution around defining a solution. We have to come together to participate in the new economy.”
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 11
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 18
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 19
- India poised to play key role in global economy: Verizon Business
- Andy Hornby: reinvention of man with infamous role in banking crisis
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 22
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 15
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 16
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 29
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 17
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 10
- Wipro restructures strategic business units, to appoint chief growth officer
- Tesla's China factory is about to play an even bigger role in its global ambitions
- Businesses in support industries growing in quantity, quality
- Banks play crucial role in fostering exports to EU: Workshop
- Orthodontist Melanie Fowler to be honored at Women Who Mean Business event
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 12
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 13
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 14
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Acadiana director Kalli Christ to be honored at Women Who Mean Business event
The CIO’s next role: Business co-creator have 377 words, post on www.cio.com at June 6, 2019. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.