The Latest on severe weather in the central United States (all times local):
The National Weather Service says a confirmed tornado has been spotted near the Tulsa International Airport.
A tornado warning was issued early Tuesday morning for the area. Forecasters say the tornado is moving to the northeast at about 50 mph (80 kph).
The tornado comes as part of a powerful storm system that spawned dozens of tornado sightings Monday and caused significant flash flooding in parts of Oklahoma. The stormy weather is expected to continue Tuesday in eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri and western Illinois.
A powerful storm system that spawned dozens of tornado sightings is now causing significant flash flooding in parts of Oklahoma.
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation shut down Interstate 40 in El Reno, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) west of Oklahoma City, because of high water Tuesday morning. The National Weather Service says up to 5 inches of rain has fallen since Monday.
In Stillwater, emergency responders were rescuing people from their homes because of high water.
The Storm Prediction Center had warned of an unusually high risk for severe weather Monday for parts of Oklahoma and Texas. Damage was reported in many areas, including the town of Mangum, but no deaths have been reported.
Forecasters say more stormy weather is expected Tuesday, especially in Arkansas, Missouri and western Illinois.
- The Latest: Police probe Olympic cheers during airport chaos
- James Harden talks Rockets and adidas sneakers from the set of his latest Foot Locker spot
- In the latest confirmation you’re old, Wyoming signs Raghib Ismail Jr.
- The Latest: A dandy Dandie nearly a walk-over at Westminster
- The Latest: Landry sinks, resurfaces near top at Oakmont
- Jaguars may have inadvertently revealed new unis at Jacksonville airport (pics)
- Tarlac resident nearly loses vote after namesake fills up her ballot
- James Harrison spotted in Boston; could he join Patriots?
- The Latest: Steady crowd of fans enjoying 3rd day of draft
- The Latest: Cowboys display their 5 Super Bowl trophies