Rio Grande Valley Border Patrol agents apprehended more than 2,400 migrants Saturday. The apprehensions are part of an "unprecedented" number of illegal immigrants crossing the border on a daily basis.
Agents from Brownsville to Roma, Texas, apprehended more than 2,400 migrants on May 4, according to information provided by Rio Grande Valley Sector Border Patrol officials. The majority of those migrants apprehended were Central American family units and unaccompanied minors.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials in Washington, D.C. told Breitbart News earlier this week that more than 476,000 migrants have been apprehended during the first seven months of the fiscal year which began on October 1, 2018. These numbers indicate that agents apprehended more than 115,000 in April 2019, an increase of 24 percent over last months record-setting numbers. The CBP officials said that about 33,000 of those April apprehensions occurred during the last 10 days.
Most concerning to the CBP official is the number of large migrant groups being apprehended — mostly in remote and desolate locations. Border Patrol officials define a "large group" as consisting of more than 100 people. So far this fiscal year, there have been 141 large groups apprehended after illegally crossing the border. These groups represent more than 22,000 people, the official stated.
Recently, large group crossings hit a new record when El Paso Sector agents apprehended 424 migrants at once. A few hours later, agents patrolling near Antelope Wells, New Mexico, apprehended another 230. These large group apprehensions in remote locations choke border security operations in a wide area as all available Border Patrol agents are consolidated to transport and process the migrants in the large groups, the CBP official stated.
Rio Grande Valley Sector officials have been forced to open a new temporary shelter in Donna, Texas, to deal with these unprecedented numbers of migrant families.
"We've exceeded our capacity and we're doing all we can to house migrants in a humane place and transfer them in and out in a timely fashion as none of the Border Patrol facilities, including the one in Donna, are meant to be long term detention centers," said Chief Rodolfo Karisch.
Bob Price serves as associate editor and senior political news contributor for the Breitbart Border team. He is an original member of the Breitbart Texas team. Follow him on Twitter @BobPriceBBTX and Face
- Border Patrol agents rescue 15, discover one deceased in the Rio Grande Valley
- Carroll, Smith lead Okla. St. over UT-Rio Grande Valley
- Alston's 20 leads Georgia Tech past UT Rio Grande Valley
- $2M deal aims to keep Rio Grande flowing in New Mexico
- In our opinion: What does Operation Rio Grande look like one year later?
- Texas border patrol agents seize over 500 pounds of pot in one bust
- Border Patrol's Efforts to Inform the Public About Trump's Wall Are 'Careless' and ‘Inadequate,’ Advocates Say
- Border Patrol arrests three MS-13 gang members over the weekend
- The Texas-Mexico Border Wall Comes with a Dangerous, Costly Side Effect: Flooding
- Despite Crackdown, Immigrants Flowing Over Arizona Border
- Texas Parks and Wildlife: State park could close if Trump builds border wall through it
- Senior Enlisted Leaders Learn Threats, Challenges of Southwest Border Firsthand
- Despite crackdown, immigrants flowing through Arizona border
- Every year, the government reports how many people died crossing the border. That number is completely wrong
- Assaults against Border Patrol agents surge despite decline in illegal immigration
- AZ Memo: New digs for The Tamale Store; finding lost pets through facial recognition; number of migrants at the border drops
- "Where is my son?": A migrant father was deported in May. His son is still in a Texas shelter.
- Border crossings rising in spite of ‘Trump effect’
- Asylum-seekers say they cross the border illegally because they don’t think they have other options
- Trump's border wall prototypes fail design requirements and riddled with deficiencies
2400 Migrants Apprehended in One Day in Rio Grande Valley Border Sector have 617 words, post on www.breitbart.com at May 8, 2019. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.