WASHINGTON: The deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is far from contained, U.S. Agency for International Development Administrator Mark Green said on Tuesday.
“In the last week we have seen a number of signs that the outbreak is far from contained. There’s a long way to go,” the top U.S. aid official told a U.S. congressional hearing.
The Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has killed more than 600 people.
But as the country grapples with the aftermath of Dec. 30 elections marred by fraud allegations, aid workers have faced mistrust in some areas as they seek to contain the outbreak, the most severe in Congo’s history.
Green said there is enough money to fight the outbreak, and that the United States is pushing for more vaccinations and the production of more vaccines. He said he is in close contact with international health officials.
(Reporting by Patricia Zengerle in Washington; Editing by James Dalgleish)
- Chelsea chief says Courtois can play for Atletico in semifinal
- UEFA president Platini, African confederation in spat over Ebola
- Ebola fears infiltrate African sports
- Ebola tragedy, outbreak clouds start of African Cup of Nations
- All Africa Games return to roots in Republic of Congo
- Sierra Leone staggers in Ebola isolation effort
- Sierra Leone cyclist cleared of Ebola at Glasgow
- Tour du Faso canceled because of Ebola fears
- IOC medical chief on Zika fears: ‘Our priority is to protect the health of the athletes’
- Recap: Chiefs stay perfect with 23-13 win over Bills
- NFL Week 8 off-the-cuff picks: We all need to root for the Chiefs now
- NFL countdown: Packers vs. Chiefs
- Chiefs fans can be the light at the end of Eric Berry’s tunnel
- Upon further review: Packers vs. Chiefs
- African qualifying: Senegal, SAfrica, Guinea win
- The Latest: Obama would ‘welcome’ Russian focus on IS
- The Latest: Large police operation under way in Paris suburb
- The Latest: French police circulate photo of suicide bomber
- The Latest: Germany: Mounting info of planned stadium attack
- The Latest: No explosives found stadium in northern Germany
Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from contained,' US aid chief says have 357 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at April 10, 2019. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.