AP Updated 1:16 AM EDT Mar 31, 2019 SAN DIEGO (AP) — Nothing fazed Reyes Moronta of the San Francisco Giants in his season debut Saturday night. Not Manny Machado, not Fernando Tatis Jr., not the San Diego Padres complaining about the color of his glove, forcing him to switch to another one. Relying on a filthy slider, Moronta struck out five in two innings of lights-out relief work and the Giants beat the Padres 3-2 for their first victory this season. “Man, what a game-saving effort,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “I mean, I put him in a tough situation there, man on second, nobody out, with who he had to face. His two great innings won the game for us.” San Francisco took a 3-0 lead in the sixth, highlighted by Yangervis Solarte’s double. Giants starter Dereck Rodriguez (1-0) faltered in the bottom of the inning, allowing hits to the first two batters before Travis Bergen came on and allowed Eric Hosmer’s two-run double. Bochy then summoned Moronta, who struck out Machado, Wil Myers and Hunter Renfroe. Moronta, a 5-foot-8, 257-pound righty, struck out two more in the seventh, including prized rookie Tatis, to strand Greg Garcia after a… Read full this story
- How adding a bona fide closer could benefit Giants in 2021
- Giants release Samardzija after 3-inning, bullpen-saving swan song
- Giants’ outfield targets include Eddie Rosario, Jackie Bradley Jr.
- Matt Duffy pounced on his chance with Giants
- Will Giants’ Gabe Kapler get some manager-of-the-year love?
- GM Scott Harris’ scouting report on Giants’ 7 newcomers added to 40-man roster
- MLB: Orioles Beat Slumping Red Sox
- Imagining ex-Giants infielder Pablo Sandoval swinging away again in the playoffs, with Atlanta
- FMIA Divisional Round: Chiefs Prove HenneThing Is Possible, Beat Browns
- Spin king Muttiah Muralitharan says no one will beat his wicket-taking record
Moronta fans 5 in 2 innings to help Giants beat Padres 3-2 have 292 words, post on eu.usatoday.com at March 30, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.