The date changes every year and if you miss it you’ll have to deal with a mother’s scorn for a good few months so y’know – don’t.
As ever, it’s in March but the date can change depending on which Sunday it falls on. This year it falls late, very late.
The origins of Mother’s Day date back as early as the ancient Greek times. The ancient Greeks dedicated an annual spring festival to maternal goddesses and ancient Romans also celebrated a spring festival called Hilaria which was for a mother goddess called Cybele.
In the UK Mother’s Day is always the fourth Sunday of Lent, the 24-hours marks the maternal bond that exists between a mum and child – as well as other maternal figures such as grandmothers, mothers-in-law and stepmums.
When is Mother’s Day 2019?
Mother’s Day falls on Sunday, March 31.
Mothering Sunday is a Christian celebration, which we Brits celebrate exactly three weeks before Easter Sunday, which is also late this year.
It has now evolved into a day of appreciation for all the maternal women in our lives.
Traditionally gifts such as flowers and chocolates are given as special thanks for all that mums do but you can be more imaginative than that.
What are the origins of Mother’s Day?
Mothering Sunday is a Christian celebration that has now become a worldwide event where we show mums how much we appreciate them.
More than 30% of Brits say their mum is the most inspirational person in their life. Mother’s Day is traditionally a celebration to observe and celebrate mums, grandmothers and step-mums with flowers, breakfast in bed, gifts and cards.
As previously mentioned, Mother’s Day can find its origins back in the ancient Greek times but we celebrate it today in a way which the Americans started in the early 20th Century.
More recent origins of Mothering Sunday date back to the 1600s in England when it was held on the fourth Sunday of Lent. It was originally a day for Christians to visit their ‘mother church’.
Families and children
- Woman 'killed own mother' then 'pulled severed head out of bag and kissed it'
- News Daily: Concern over UK virus approach and global stocks tumble
- Mother who put off her smear tests for SEVEN years because she thought cancer 'wouldn't happen to her' was diagnosed with the disease when she finally got checked after watching Jade Goody documentary
- Calls for billionaire Dubai ruler to face UK justice over kidnap of his daughter from UK streets amid claims Labour's Robin Cook shut down police probe against him as a 'diplomatic favour'
- What is Ash Wednesday and what is the meaning of the day?
- Sheikh Maktoum's UK property empire that is worth more than £100m alone: From the £75m Surrey estate the billionaire uses to escape Dubai's summer heat to the 63,000-acre Highland retreat with three helipads
- Duchess in Dagenham! Meghan Markle meets pupils at east London school on second day back in UK after Megxit
- Coronavirus incubation period is just FIVE DAYS on average – but scientists warn one in 100 patients will develop symptoms AFTER 14 days of quarantine
- Meghan Markle has already started her new life after flying straight to Canada from the Commonwealth Day Service to reunite with Archie while Prince Harry has stayed in the UK for meetings
- World's Youngest Coronavirus Case Registered in UK - Report
- Student nurse killed himself after being taken to hospital two days running
- Dubai's ruler abducted daughters and threatened former wife, UK judge rules
- FIR filed against UK-based singer Hard Kaur for remarks on Yogi Adityanath, RSS chief Bhagwat
- Court finds Dubai ruler was harassing ex-wife abroad
- Trump is BOOED at Madison Square Garden MMA event - days after he officially left New York to become resident of Florida
- The calm, collected scientist leading UK's fight against coronavirus: New chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty is a plague expert raised in Nigeria whose life was scarred as a teenager when his father was shot dead
- Britain awaits a Brexit Party landslide as Europe votes in EU elections: Counting gets underway in UK as Farage boasts he'll be 'king maker' in Tory leadership battle
- More Megxit talks with the Queen? Prince Harry leaves Buckingham Palace after discussions ahead of Meghan Markle's arrival in UK
- Man's tear-jerking £50 Christmas film is so popular people want John Lewis to hire him
- New on Netflix UK: The best series and films released every day
When is Mother's Day 2019 in the UK? have 731 words, post on www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk at January 7, 2019. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.