- President Donald Trump weighed in on the mass layoffs at multiple media outlets that have affected more than 1,000 workers.
- He attributed the losses at BuzzFeed and HuffPost to “Fake News and bad journalism,” and warned that “many others will follow.”
- Top editors for both outlets lashed out at Trump Saturday afternoon, criticising his remarks as cruel and “disgusting.”
President Donald Trump gloated over mass layoffs at multiple news outlets on Saturday, tweeting that “many others will follow” and attributing the loss to “Fake News.”
“Fake News and bad journalism have caused a big downturn. Sadly, many others will follow. The people want the Truth!” he tweeted.
Trump was referring to the more than 1,000 media jobs that were axed this week after HuffPost owner Verizon Media, as well as Gannett and BuzzFeed, announced large staff cuts.
The top editors at BuzzFeed and HuffPost immediately lashed out at Trump for the remarks.
“1,000 journalists lost their jobs last week. Ordinary people with rent to pay, families to support, student loan bills coming due,” HuffPost Editor-in-Chief Lydia Polgreen tweeted. “They are workers like any other who do not deserve this cruelty.”
“What a disgusting thing to say about dozens of American workers who just lost their jobs,” BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith tweeted.
Trump has been particularly incensed by BuzzFeed in recent weeks, after the website published a bombshell report saying that Trump had directed his former fixer, Michael Cohen, to lie to Congress.
The story came under fire after the office of the special counsel Robert Mueller released an unprecedented statement saying parts of the story were inaccurate. BuzzFeed, however, has said it remains confident in its reporting.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.
- Why Do So Many White People Want to Bone the American Flag?
- The subtle, dangerous way Donald Trump has changed American political discourse
- Top 10 People Summoned to Trump Towers to Fix Black America
- Vice to axe 250 staff in latest round of digital media job losses
- Congrats to the Brave American Media for Quoting Donald Trump Accurately
- Why is the American media mostly ignoring two other terror attacks that happened this month?
- People want to drink the red liquid from the dark sarcophagus
- I spent Election Night with the regular-ass suburban white people who elected Trump
- Trump’s Attempts to Create Common Enemy Out of American Media Very Orwellian
- GM Warns Trump's Tariffs Will Force Job Cuts, Hurt Competitiveness