Scott Davis, provided by
Published 1:44 pm PST, Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Kevin C. Cox/Getty
- Only 12 NFL teams have won more than one Super Bowl.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers own the most with six, and the New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers, and Dallas Cowboys each have five.
- The Patriots can tie the Steelers by beating the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LIII.
- Check out all of INSIDER’s Super Bowl 2019 coverage here >
The NFL is a league built on the idea of parity, and through history, it’s largely achieved that.
Sure, the New England Patriots have found a way to win over the past two decades, but they’re just one of 12 teams to win more than one Super Bowl.
In total, 12 teams have never won a Super Bowl (four have never even been there). That means 20 have at least one championship under their belt.
While the Patriots are the model of success in the NFL, they don’t own the most Super Bowls ever (yet).
Check out the teams with the most Super Bowls below:
1. Pittsburgh Steelers — 6
Years won: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008
T2. New England Patriots — 5
Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Years won: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016
T2. San Francisco 49ers
Years won: 1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994
- How to Fake Your Way Through Super Bowl LI Without Knowing Anything About Football
- How to Fake Your Way Through the Super Bowl Without Knowing Anything About Football
- NBC's 2018 Super Bowl goal: A glitch-free livestream
- Zebra helps the NFL get into data overdrive
- Madden NFL 15 near perfect in Super Bowl 49 predictions
- 12 Super Bowl facts that'll make you sound less clueless on Sunday
- Watch the Super Bowl over the Internet
- Moneyball hits the NFL via a San Francisco 49ers app
- Twitter hopes to score big with the NFL
- Please, Tom Brady, don't appear on the cover of Madden NFL 18