“Winter is coming,” says Russell Hancock, chief of think tank Joint Venture Silicon Valley. “The markets don’t lie.” Hancock, who knows Silicon Valley like the back of his hand, might be spot on. House sales in San Jose have soared by 131pc, the highest rate in America, according to 2019 figures from real-estate giant Redfin. Rising living costs, a growing homelessness crisis, Donald Trump and a sense of crisis at some of Silicon Valley’s most successful companies is driving a wave of departures from San Francisco. The Bay Area has been the thriving home of the world’s most famous tech hub for decades, witnessing the dotcom boom and bust and the flood of workers looking to make their fortunes… To continue reading this article Start your free trial of Premium Access all Premium articles Subscriber-only events Cancel any time Free for 30 days then only £2 per week Try Premium Access one Premium article per week Register for free Register for free to continue reading this article Register Or unlock all Premium articles, free for 30 days Start trial Already have an account? Login Want to learn more? View all subscriptions
- Pinkerton: It’s Time to Build, and Maybe Even Silicon Valley Now Agrees
- Bokhari: The Week Silicon Valley Killed Free Speech
- In Silicon Valley, Elon Musk mobilizes a small army of tech elites behind reopening society
- Opinion: I used to make fun of Silicon Valley preppers. Then I became one.
- Fast Company: Silicon Valley Is Building a Communist-style ‘Social Credit’ System
- Orgies and customized MDMA: New book details Silicon Valley's 'Brotopia' after hours
- Another Day, Another Apology for Harassment in Silicon Valley
- Tech Exec Allegedly Offered Female Employees Thousands to Lose Weight, and Other Tales From Silicon Valley’s Latest Mess
- Silicon Valley helped Russia sway the US election. So now what?
- Breaking up the tech giants: Why America is finally ready to take action against Silicon Valley
Silicon Valley exodus: Why rising costs and politics are driving tech talent out have 323 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at January 26, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.