MELBOURNE (Reuters) – Australia fast bowler Josh Hazlewood has been ruled out of the test series against Sri Lanka due to a back injury, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Saturday.
Jhye Richardson, uncapped at test level, has been called into the squad in place of Hazlewood, who has taken 164 wickets in 44 tests.
“Josh has reported some back soreness over the last few days and scans have revealed a very early stage stress fracture in the same lower back area as his previous injury from last summer,” CA physiotherapist David Beakley said in a statement.
“He will now begin a rehabilitation programme and we are confident he will be available for selection ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup in the UK later this year.”Richardson, 22, has played seven one-day and seven Twenty20 internationals. ”Jhye has had an impressive first half in his Sheffield Shield season and no-one could deny he has now continued that form in ODI matches for Australia,” national selector Trevor Hohns said.Australia’s test squad is due to meet up in Brisbane on Saturday evening, ahead of the first day-night test against Sri Lanka at the Gabba starting on Thursday.
(Reporting by Ed Osmond, editing by Peter Rutherford)
- Josh Hazlewood Takes Four As Australia Beat Sri Lanka In Opening T20I | Cricket News
- Smith out of remaining T20Is against Sri Lanka with concussion
- Concussed Steve Smith out of T20I series
- Pakistan vs Australia 2022: Pacer Michael Neser ruled out of Test series due to injury
- IPL 2022 will be a nice build-up for T20 WC, says Australia interim coach McDonald
- Concussed Steve Smith out of T20 series as Australia hang on in thriller
- Most Expensive Player in IPL History: Full List of Highest Paid Players in Each IPL Season
- Pak vs Aus: Aussie’s pacer Michael Neser pulls out of Pakistan tour due to injury
- IPL 2022: MS Dhoni is the Iceman, Virat Kohli is the Superhuman, gushes Shane Watson
- IPL 2022: Shane Watson likely to join Delhi Capitals as assistant coach
- IPL 2022 Stadium List: Mumbai to host 55 league games, 15 matches likely to be held in Pune
- Australian wicketkeeping legend Rodney Marsh critical after suffering heart attack
- IPL: Virat Kohli reveals why he decided to step down as Royal Challengers Bangalore captain
Australia's Hazlewood ruled out of Sri Lanka series have 361 words, post on www.euronews.com at January 19, 2019. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.