Susan Tompor Detroit Free Press Published 10:00 p.m. UTC Sep 2, 2018 It is one thing to pick up a pair of basketball shoes based on a popular player’s endorsement. It’s another to load up on a stock because you’re wowed by a superstar CEO. Overpriced shoes won’t undo your retirement savings, but overconfidence in a charismatic leader might very well set a match to your nest egg. “You should invest in a company, not a personality,” said Charles Elson, director of the corporate governance center at the University of Delaware. “No. 1 — humans are mortal, you could get hit by a bus. No. 2 — humans make mistakes,” Elson said. It’s something to think about as we watch the Tesla Motors drama unfold. Tesla investors, of course, rode on every word and every tweet of founder and CEO Elon Musk. Many viewed him as the real-life version of Tony Stark, aka Iron Man. Now, though, many question why Musk has so much unquestioned power. One infamous tweet nearly three weeks ago put Musk on the hot seat. “Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured,” Musk first tweeted on Aug. 7. Other tweets followed that day, including these: “Shareholders could either… Read full this story
- Who said it? Ethan Hawke’s ‘Tesla’ or Tesla-worshipping Elon Musk?
- Something extremely bogus is going on, says Tesla CEO Elon Musk after COVID-19 tests give opposite results on same day
- Elon Musk adds full driverless mode to Tesla – with dashboard that shows what the cars ‘see’
- Elon Musk reveals Tesla was a MONTH away from going bankrupt while trying to figure out 'logistics hell' of ramping up production of the Model 3
- Elon Musk says he tested both positive and negative twice for COVID-19 in one day and claims 'something extremely bogus' is happening
- Elon Musk Reveals He Won’t Take Coronavirus Vaccine, Criticizes 'Knucklehead' Bill Gates
- Tesla boss Elon Musk sees SpaceX shares fly due to rocket company’s plan to launch 12,000 satellites
- Elon Musk Calls Bill Gates a 'Knucklehead' After Vaccine Criticism As Billionaire Clash Continues
- Elon Musk Teases Tesla Battery Day While Saying Bill Gates Has 'No Clue' About Electric Cars
- Elon Musk's ex-wife denies claims Ghislaine Maxwell procured her as a child bride for the Tesla CEO and says she doesn't even remember meeting Epstein's 'pimp' - but admits the pair once visited the pedophile's New York City townhouse
How Tesla's Elon Musk shows superstar bet still carries risk have 392 words, post on eu.freep.com at September 2, 2018. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.