Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page By Hamza Shaban The Washington Post August 31, 2018 Users of the messaging app Snapchat reported Thursday that the mapping feature of the service was displaying New York City as ‘‘Jewtropolis.’’Snapchat’s parent company, Snap, told The Washington Post in a statement that the map relies on third-party data from OpenStreetMap, which had been vandalized. ‘‘This defacement is deeply offensive and entirely contrary to our values, and we want to apologize to any members of our community who saw it. We are working with our partner Mapbox to fix this as quickly as possible,’’ Snap said.In a blog post Thursday morning, Mapbox said that the ‘‘malicious edit’’ was made by a source who had attempted several other ‘‘hateful edits.’’ While Mapbox’s automated systems flagged the derogatory listing, the company said human error led to the name change being displayed. Mapbox said that the offensive listing was removed within an hour. ‘‘We apologize to customers and users who were exposed to this disgusting attack,’’ the blog post said. Advertisement Mapbox maps pull information from more than 130 data sets, and the company’s computer systems… Read full this story
- Woman who 'slapped three Orthodox Jewish women' is charged with federal hate crimes after New York City released her on bail
- Trump and 2020 Presidential Candidates React to New York Hanukkah Celebration Stabbings
- Masked anti-cop protesters storm Grand Central during rush hour and vandalize subway stations across New York in massive demonstration against $2.75 fares and police on trains
- Bernie Sanders Snubs Cynthia Nixon as New York Gubernatorial Primary Looms
- Hanukkah stabbing suspect charged with hate crimes as FBI find journals in home that appear to 'express anti-Semitic sentiments'
- Moment former Democratic lawmaker Dov Hikind is removed from Muslim event after asking Rashida Tlaib why she hasn't apologized for anti-Semitic tweet
- Former Dem lawmaker removed from Tlaib event after asking about anti-Semitism
- Inside The Secret New York Launch Of Munchery, The Delivery Startup That Might Upend Seamless
- The best Android apps (January 2020)
- Snapchat’s New Map Feature Is the Best Social Media Time-Waster in Months
Snapchat’s maps display an anti-Semitic label for New York City; app says it was vandalized have 351 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at August 30, 2018. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.