Raph Koster has a lot to say about making online games, as he’s been working on them for more than two decades. His new book, Postmortems, debuts on Monday at more than 700 pages. And that’s just volume one. Many of the essays in the book have come from his quarter century of writings and talks, though about a third of the material is completely new. The lessons focus on game design, online community theories, and candid self-evaluation from working at companies such as Origin Systems, Sony Online Entertainment, and Metaplace. In a quarter-century of writings and talks, he has offered up game design lessons, online community theories, and candid self-evaluation. The book from Altered Tuning Press has a foreward from Ultima game designer Richard Garriott. Some of the historical posts were written for players, chat logs, speeches, design sketches, and more. Koster hopes they will illuminate the history of virtual worlds and inspire more people to create new ones. Above: Raph Koster is author of Postmortems.Image Credit: Raph Koster The result is an inspiring historical look back at the development of virtual worlds. He looks at whether our online bonds are real, offers a detailed design breakdown of Ultima… Read full this story
- Online gaming drives revenue growth at Paddy Power Betfair
- Online games growth drives 17% increase in Paddy Power revenues
- James Ducker: 'Past mistakes have shaped Guardiola's new vision'
- French runner posts cheeky GPS drawing in online game
- Devastated Donna, 42, told by online gaming giant she couldn't have £13k win
- Indian Cities Ban PUBG Online Game Citing Harmful Effects on Children
- Iraq moves to ban online game PUBG for 'inciting violence'
- How Pep Guardiola has learnt from past mistakes and new-found flexibility may be key to unlocking Champions League
- NRL 2019: Warriors fail to learn from past mistakes in defeat to Cowboys
- Remember Football Pools? Footie5 is a new online game where you could win £25K
Raph Koster’s Postmortems helps online game devs avoid past mistakes have 322 words, post on venturebeat.com at June 23, 2018. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.