WINDHOEK – Opposition party Nudo – currently in a battle for its soul following a botched elective congress two weeks ago – has no property registered in its name, despite receiving millions of dollars from government for years.
The party, which for the past four years has received over N$2.7 million annually for its two seats in the National Assembly and one in the National Council, does not have a single tangible asset registered in its name, New Era can reveal.
The party receives N$900,000 per seat annually.
But while Swapo, which understandably has a multi-million business empire of its own, is contemplating constructing its headquarters to the tune of about N$400 million, a divided Nudo has no asset to brag about to its peers.
Currently, the party is renting a house opposite the Ovaherero Commando No. 1 as its headquarters – for which it pays about N$7,500 monthly.
The party also has a rented office in Okakarara, an iron-corrugated office at Otjinene and an office at Aminuis made out of precast material. Otjinene has traditionally been the party’s stronghold.
The party had deposited N$270,000 towards a property it intended on turning into its office, but a dispute over ownership stalled the purchase.
“I am not the accounting officer – if you want to find out about the party finances please contact the party secretary general or the secretary for finance,” said Mbai when pressed on party finances.
He said the N$2.7 million they receive from government annually is being used to pay staff and for the administration of party activities. He didn’t say how many people the party employs.
Nudo – founded by legendary politicians Mburumba Kerina, Clemens Kapuuo, and Hosea Kutako in September 1965 – is currently divided into two camps, following a chaotic and violent congress that was called off two weeks ago as two factions bayed for each other’s blood.
One group is backing current deputy secretary general Vetaruhe Kandorozu for party presidency, a position also sought by his rival Utjiua Muinjangue.
Muinjangue and her slate this week said they will approach the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) to file a case of mismanagement of funds against outgoing secretary general Meundju Jahanika.
- ITV furloughs 800 staff due to Covid-19 crisis despite receiving highest audience share in 11 years as Loose Women starts filming again
- Star fund managers jump ship even as assets soar
- Lily Allen receives birthday surprise from beau David Harbour and her daughters as they decorate the house with flowers, banners and confetti
- Amazon says it will END hazard pay in June for its warehouse employees who received extra $2 an hour and double overtime during the pandemic
- REVEALED: TSA 'hoarded 1.3 MILLION N95 masks' at empty airports - after they were told they didn't need them and should be saved for hospitals
- Coronavirus | Global virus cases top 4 million as France, Spain inch towards re-opening
- Keeping women's health essential despite Covid-19 shortages
- As coronavirus steals medics' attentions, millions of others at risk from known diseases
- Bumbling Joe Biden gaffes his way through COVID-19 round-table as he claims '85,000 jobs have been lost in the US and millions of Americans have died' since pandemic began - instead of the other way round
- Japan's PM pushes his country's Avigan drug as treatment for coronavirus despite no evidence it works and admitting it has side effects 'the same as thalidomide'
- FBI offers $1 million reward to find Taliban kidnappers of Pennsylvania mom Caitlan Coleman who gave birth to three kids before being freed - as she admits it will clear up suspicions that the captivity was 'voluntary'
- North Korea Violated U.N. Sanctions To Earn $200 Million from Prohibited Exports, Report Finds
- ViacomCBS Pauses Up to $2.5 Billion in Asset Sales Amid Virus Crisis
- Sustainable funds in India attract $500 million during Covid-19 selloff
- Veritas, big SF apartment manager, defends taking $3.6 million PPP loan
- Parents Of Actor Anton Yelchin Seek To Distribute Assets
- Lufthansa says losing $1 million per hour as bailout talks enter final stretch
- India surprises by lowering Budget gap despite weak growth
- Univision Targets $125 Million in Cost Cuts as Pandemic Hits Advertising
- Coronavirus live updates: Pelosi to big SF landlord — Give back $3.6 million loan
Nudo without assets despite receiving millions have 666 words, post on www.newera.com.na at June 7, 2018. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.