May 29, 5:05 AM EDT Newsletter Signup BusinessTechnologyWorldNationalMedia & CultureOpinionSportsLuxury Technology By Shubham Sharma 05/29/18 AT 4:23 AM Elon Musk’s SpaceX is hosting the third installment of the Hyperloop Pod Competition, inviting student teams from different parts of the world to showcase their functional pod prototypes for the rapid transit system.As the challenge, set to take place July 22, will be focusing on the speed aspect of the self-propelled vehicles, one of the 20 finalists tasked to design and built the transport vehicle turned to the European Space Agency (ESA) to test their technology.The Delft Hyperloop team from the Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, tested the motor module of its pod at the agency’s European Space Research and Technology Centre in the country. Though the facility is normally used for satellite testing, the students employed its capabilities to see how the components set to be integrated with their pod performed in an airless state. The Delft Hyperloop team slide the test rig containing their motor module into ESA’s 3.5m-long and 2m-wide VTC-1.5 Space Simulator chamber, testing it in near-vacuum conditions to prepare for competing in the SpaceX Hyperloop Pod Competition 3 in California. Photo: ESA They operated the electric motor, battery, sensors, and… Read full this story
- Hyperloop for cargo aims to deliver at over 600 mph
- Hyperloop at 5: Sci-fi transport quickly becoming more sci than fi
- Hyperloop speed records, broken down
- Elon Musk wants hyperloop pod to hit half the speed of sound
- Elon Musk sends an 'escape pod' to help in Thailand cave rescue
- Virgin Galactic plans to launch customers to space 'within years'
- Everyone's going to the moon! And more space news coming in 2019
- Space in 2019 will be all about the moon, and one weird asteroid
- Scott Kelly from space: 'I feel like I've lived my whole life up here'
- Virgin Galactic plane skims space in historic human test flight
SpaceX’s Hyperloop Competition Finalist Tests Pod Motor In ESA’s Space Simulator have 301 words, post on www.ibtimes.com at May 29, 2018. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.