Google Assistant can now control more than 5,000 smart devices from 1,500 manufacturers, the company announced today. By comparison, its chief competitor, Amazon’s Alexa, is able to control 12,000 devices from 2,000 manufacturers, an Amazon spokesperson told VentureBeat. The announcement was made today in the lead-up to I/O, Google’s annual developer conference scheduled to take place May 8-10 at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, California. Competition between Google and Amazon on smart home devices has at times been pretty fierce. Last December, Google removed YouTube access from Amazon’s Echo Show and Fire TV, claiming Amazon wasn’t selling its Nest smart home products on its online marketplace. Highlighting tensions between the two, Google took the unusual step of issuing a public statement to announce the change. Roughly three months later, Amazon acquired smart home company Ring for a reported $1 billion. Stiff competition between Google and Amazon may be warranted, as consumers’ purchases for the smart home may influence the sale of smart speakers. Voice control of smart home devices is one of the most popular use cases for smart speakers, followed by listening to music or the news. Voice control has also been heavily correlated with the sale of smart… Read full this story
- Electronic Deals – June 5, 2018: Google WiFi, Nest Learning Thermostat, Echo Show & More
- IFA 2018: everything you should know about the massive tech show
- Electronics Deals – July 11, 2018: Hisense TV, Roav VIVA Car Charger & More
- Electronics Deals – August 22, 2018: Logitech, iRobot & More
- Electronics Deals – June 13, 2018: Amazon Echo, Fire TV & More
- The best Amazon Black Friday deals 2018
Google Assistant can now use your voice to control 5,000 devices have 267 words, post on venturebeat.com at May 2, 2018. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.