The Wall Street Journal reported that the successful debut of Spotify Technology SA is the motivator for Tencent. If all goes as planned, the IPO would bow in the second half of 2018 and is anticipated to be one of the largest of the year. The IPO would likely be listed in the US, but no decision has been finalized.
The IPO market has languished in the last year, driven in part by the rise of the initial coin offering (ICO), a way for companies to raise money without surrendering equity. However, as regulators have taken a sterner approach with the largely unregulated ICO offerings, IPOs have come back into favor.
The WSJ story said the Tencent Music offering could value the busines as high as $25 billion, which was its estimated value in recent private transactions. That price reflects a sharp rise in value from the $12.5 billion estimates when Swedish music streamer Spotify bought a nine percent stake in it as part of a 2017 share swap.
If the IPO reached that lofty valuation, it would become the fourth-largest US-listed tech IPO on record, the WSJ claimed.
The Tencent Music streaming deal is creating a buzz because of its connection to Tencent Holdings, one of China’s biggest companies. Tencent Holdings has a stake of more than 50 percent in Tencent Music, which has 700 million monthly active users through its QQ Music platform and other mobile apps.
Tencent Music was created in mid-2016 after Tencent Holdings bought a controlling stake in China Music Corp. and combined it with Tencent’s existing streaming business.
- Tech firm Tencent in talks to buy stake in Universal Music Group
- Warner Music Group’s A&R Costs Say a Lot About How Much Labels Need to Spend on Artists in Today’s Music Industry
- Universal Music sells €3bn stake to Chinese company Tencent
- Streaming music surges, turns tables on recording industry
- A Storm Is Coming to the Global Music Industry — and More than $100 Billion Is at Stake
- YouTube to try again with new paid music service, aiming for March launch
- Shake it off! Taylor Swift label Universal Music plans stock market flotation
- Tencent, the $500bn Chinese tech firm you may never have heard of
- Apple Music reportedly set to overtake Spotify in the US
- 'The New Normal': Why Indie Artists Are Releasing Music at a Much Faster Rate in 2020
- Atoms for Peace Pull Music From Spotify
- Why Warner Music Is Going Public Now & How No One Saw It Coming
- Inside the Earnings: UMG Is Firing on Full Cylinders Headed Towards 2023 IPO
- Universal Music Group Revenues Pass $7.7 Billion in 2019, IPO Planned By 2023
- Vivendi plans IPO of Universal by early 2023 at the latest
- Best TV streaming services including Amazon Prime Video and Netflix
- The 13 Best Things That Happened in Music This Week (Feb. 14)
- Tyler, the Creator & DJ Khaled's clash for Billboard glory becomes first of its kind in music world
- Apple is exploring the idea of allowing custom browser and email default apps in iOS 14
- Breaking Bad Movie Gets a Music Video Recap That Will Get You Hyped for El Camino
Tencent Music Explores Anticipated Huge IPO For Its Streaming Music Service have 523 words, post on deadline.com at April 22, 2018. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.