The World Health Organization (WHO) has said 29 suspected cases of the deadly Ebola virus have been reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier said the number includes two laboratory-confirmed deaths.
Officials announced the outbreak of the haemorrhagic fever a week ago in a remote area of northern Congo.
The Ebola virus causes fever, bleeding, vomiting and diarrhoea, and it spreads easily by contact with bodily fluids.
An Ebola treatment centre has been set up in the region and a mobile clinic is due to follow.
The last outbreak of Ebola in DRC was in 2014. It was unconnected to the epidemic in West Africa, which killed thousands and became the worst Ebola outbreak on record./.
Compiled by BTA
- Sydney's army of coronavirus detectives are desperate to keep the city's outbreak to less than 100 cases a day or it will have no hope of preventing a Christmas lockdown
- Sydney's covid cluster grows to 28 cases with locals told to stay home and wear masks - as Gladys Berejiklian reveals shocking details of how an air crew broke isolation to go out and party
- COVID-19: FCTA tests 86,505 suspected cases
- Thailand tightens restrictions over growing COVID-19 cases
- Covid cases have risen almost EIGHT-FOLD in just a fortnight in parts of Sussex that escaped Tier 4 (so how quickly is outbreak is growing in YOUR area - our tool will tell you)
- Millions of Sydney residents are ordered to stay home as Gladys Berejiklian brings back strict coronavirus restrictions to save Christmas after outbreak explodes with 23 new cases and hundreds of gymgoers are told to get tested
- Ebola Is a Virus That Punishes False Confidence
- Now Sweden and Spain record their first cases of new super-infectious mutant coronavirus strain found in Kent
- Britain's Covid outbreak continues to worsen with another 33,364 cases as officials record 215 more deaths
- Christmas Day revellers undaunted by rain or coronavirus outbreak head to Bondi in the smallest crowds seen in years - but the northern beaches are completely deserted
- Christmas plans could be thrown into disarray as state premiers tighten border rules amid Sydney's worrying 17-case Covid cluster that's placed 250,000 people under a stay-at-home order
- Heilongjiang records 1 suspected, 2 asymptomatic cases
- Why Sydney's Northern Beaches Covid outbreak could be easier to control than Melbourne's July explosion - and how the suburb's 'insular peninsula' label could be the key to containing the virus
- 'Brace yourselves': Gladys Berejiklian warns Sydney to expect an explosion of new coronavirus cases today - as desperate search for 'patient zero' who spread overseas strain continues
- What Anti-Vaccinators Are Saying Online About the Disneyland Measles Outbreak
- Why ARE Kent and East Sussex's Covid outbreaks spiking? Scientists blame lax Tier One rules before lockdown while councillors bash 'wilful disregard' of social distancing
- REVEALED: Nashville 'bomber', 63, told LA mother, 29, he planned to spend Christmas 'in the woods with his dogs' and warned basement of home he gave her for free was 'not normal'
- Report details stamping out of Bạch Mai Hospital COVID-19 outbreak
- COVID-19 positive Nagpur man with UK travel history suspected of carrying new coronavirus strain
- Report details stamping out of Bach Mai Hospital COVID-19 outbreak
Ebola outbreak in Congo grows: 29 suspected cases have 502 words, post on at May 22, 2017. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.