Trucks and tailgate parties go hand in hand, but there’s only one ride for a true fan of Broncos.
That’s “Broncos” as in both the Super Bowl champs and the Fords.
In the early 1970s, famed off-road racer Bill Stroppe teamed up with Ford to build the limited edition Baja Bronco, which was based on the iconic trucks he ran in the Baja 1000 race.
Ford shipped stock trucks to Stroppe’s California shop for performance modifications and then sold them through its dealerships nationwide. A couple of hundred of the orangey-red, white and blue SUVs were produced through the 1975 model year when the partnership ended.
At the time they parted ways, Ford had 214 Coral Red over white trucks on order. A Colorado Ford dealer caught wind of the surplus and had a bright idea.
Golden Ford in Golden, Colorado, purchased the lot of them, painted the roofs Grabber Blue, added white fender flares, and marketed them as Denver Broncos Specials, creating one of the rarest breeds of the SUV.
According to a Ford archivist, there were 138 Sport Package and 76 Ranger Package Broncos that were given the “Orange Crush” tribute treatment. All were equipped with the 1975 model’s standard 302 V8, and just 77 of them were delivered with a three-speed manual transmission.
There’s no telling how many still exist, but one of the three-on-the-tree trucks is currently for sale by Long Macarthur Ford in Salinas, Kansas. It’s been fully restored with new old stock fenders, a rebuilt transmission, blue carpets and further embellished with Broncos helmet badges on the fenders, blue highlight wheels, window decals and a Broncos spare tire cover. The dealer posted it in an eBay auction the day after the big game with a buy-it-now price of $75,000.
It’s only a coincidence, of course, that both the Super Bowl and the Ford Bronco are celebrating their 50th anniversaries in 2016, but there may be no better way to mark the occasion than with one of these.
- Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers trade to Denver Broncos "close to done deal": Denver sports radio host
- End of Denver Broncos Ownership Dispute Could Lead to Team’s Sale
- What You Need To Know Before Attending Broncos Training Camp
- Peyton Manning & John Lynch Reflect On Time With Broncos As They Prepare Hall Of Fame Speeches
- An Extremely Detailed Look Into The Ford Bronco's Engineering Designed To Take On Jeep
- Seahawks roll over Broncos in Super Bowl upset
- Broncos analyst picks Javonte Williams to lead team in rushing as rookie
- 2021 Ford Bronco Trim Levels And Option Packages Explained
- 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E First Drive Review: Electric Muscle | Digital Trends
- NFL's most overrated teams ahead of 2021 season: Broncos' hype inflated by Aaron Rodgers rumors
- Retired Broncos lineman Orlando Franklin lists Cherry Hills Village mansion for $4.3M
- Denver Public Safety Manager Heightens Security For All-Star Week
- Ford (F) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
- Ford (F) Q3 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
- Broncos Mailbag: Who will be next player to sign long-term contract extension?
- Ford Bronco Races Mustang Shelby GT500, Future Shelby Bronco Teased
- Kickin’ It with Kiz: Would Broncos be better served with Jeff Bezos or Thurston Howell III as owner?
- John Lynch on entering Hall of Fame with fellow ex-Broncos safety Steve Atwater: “He was someone I admired greatly”
- Kiszla: The quarterback that can lead Broncos back to Super Bowl? More than Aaron Rodgers, team needs Peyton Manning.
- Peyton Manning 'can't fathom' Aaron Rodgers sitting out 2021 NFL season, doesn't see QB playing for Broncos
Denver Broncos Ford Bronco is the ultimate fan-mobile have 570 words, post on www.foxsports.com at February 9, 2016. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.