The rumour mills are alive with the buzz of tech giant, Apple, and its apparent automotive-related project. The Cupertino-based firm is reportedly so far in on development of a fully autonomous electric vehicle, sources close to the firm are claiming the Apple Car already has an internal code – “Titan”.
While details of the project remain a mystery, it appears that Apple has already hired “several hundred people” to work on Titan at a “secret lab”, as understood by Reuters, citing The Wall Street Journal. Said lab was unveiled late last year and is located “a few miles from Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino”.
A closer look into the firm’s portfolio of talent would reveal a surprising amount of automobile designers. One of Apple’s designers, Marc Newson, was responsible for penning the Ford 021C concept car (pictured below) that made its debut at the 1999 Tokyo Motor Show.
Apart from Newson, the firm also has the talent of Julian Hönig, responsible for the Audi RSQ concept and Aaron Von Minden, who styled the BMW Gina concept car. An unsolicited email that found its way to Apple also stated that Tesla personnel were “jumping ship” to work at the firm, as reported by Business Insider.
The same report states that about 50 of the hired individuals were specialists in the field of mechanics, manufacturing as well as robotics. Perhaps the biggest indication of just how serious Apple is at this project lies in the same email, in which the unnamed Apple rep claims that it will “give Tesla a run for its money”.
In addition beefing up its portfolio of designers and engineers, reports are also in that executives from the firm have recently met up with key personnel from notable automobile contract manufacturer, Magna Steyr. Is Apple capable of seriously posing a threat to Google’s stillborn autonomous car as well as going up against Tesla? Let us know what you think in the comments.
- Haunting CCTV shows moments before man was crushed by car he worked under
- New iPhone 2019 to be ‘thinner and lighter’ after women slam Apple over ‘too big’ handsets
- Apple AirPods 2 news – wireless earbuds to get ‘Hey Siri’ control for first time
- Apple AirPods 2 rumoured for March release date with NEW design that stops them falling out of your ears
- Apple pays £92BILLION to app makers as iPhone ‘virtual spending’ skyrockets
- Apple revenue and profits down as iPhone sales take a hit
- Apple may drop Project Titan, the developing of a self-driving car
- Apple to issue fixed Group FaceTime update next week
- Apple releases software update to fix FaceTime bug
- New iPod Touch and iPad Mini 5 ‘on the way’ at SECRET Apple gadget launch
- Apple says record-breaking £255BILLION spent in one day on App Store – after admitting iPhone sales flop
- Apple working to fix iPhone glitch that allows ‘eavesdropping’
- Apple hints at lower iPhone prices after sales drop
- Apple ‘planning to launch Netflix for games’
- Tim Cook teases ‘new services’ from Apple this year
- Ford Ka+ Active: From city car to rugged urban cruiser in one bold leap
- Toyota Corolla review: the world's most popular car is back
- Match report: Middlesbrough 0-1 Burton Albion
- Best electric cars on sale in 2019: Tesla Model S, Jaguar I-Pace and more
- Kia's electric e-Niro named What Car?'s Car of the Year for 2019
Apple Car reportedly in the works; codenamed “Titan” have 536 words, post on paultan.org at February 16, 2015. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.