Vu Minh Tri, general director of Microsoft Vietnam talks with VIR’s Hoang Anh about Microsoft’s personal cloud storage service OneDrive, formerly known as SkyDrive, which was officially launched in Vietnam yesterday.
OneDrive is an update to SkyDrive. OneDrive offers everything SkyDrive customers have come to know and love, and much more, including updated apps for Windows Phone, iOS, Android and Xbox, along with a host of new functionality. We’re excited to announce that the following features will be available in OneDrive:
– Automatic camera backup for Android: With automatic camera backup for Android devices – a feature also available on Windows Phone and iOS – it is now easier than ever to get the photos and videos you capture on your Android phone to OneDrive and sync them across all of your devices.
– Real-time co-authoring: Now that real-time co-authoring using Office Web Apps is available in OneDrive, you can work on Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents simultaneously with colleagues or family, see edits as they happen and be confident that you always have the latest version.
– Video transcoding: Sharing videos with your friends and family is now easier than ever with the availability of video transcoding in OneDrive, making videos as easy to view and share as photos. Transcoding senses your internet speed, and automatically adjusts to play the highest quality video your connection can support, eliminating unnecessary buffering and waiting.
– New purchase options: With OneDrive, you also now have the option of paying for extra storage on a monthly basis. Plus, customers who refer friends can receive up to 5 GB of free storage (in 500 MB increments) for each friend who accepts an invitation to OneDrive. You can also receive an additional 3 GB of free storage for utilizing the camera backup feature on your phone.
Microsoft is a company undergoing extensive change. What is OneDrive’s role in the current Microsoft ecosystem?
In today’s world, people want one place for all of their content, one that connects seamlessly to all of their devices. That’s what OneDrive offers and we’re excited that the name reflects the vision for the service. OneDrive is a crucial piece of Microsoft’s devices and services strategy. It serves as the connective tissue that enables content to seamlessly flow across all of your devices, helping Microsoft deliver experiences that no other platform can match.
Microsoft commissioned a study with Harris Interactive in advance of OneDrive’s launch. What was the purpose of the research?
In order to ensure we were delivering a truly all-encompassing personal cloud offering, we wanted to assess the trends and insights about how consumers are using cloud storage. The results of the study, which were based in the US, UK, France and Germany, reinforced that people have important files strewn across multiple devices and need one place for everything, which is what OneDrive provides. The data showed overwhelmingly that people are more attached to the content stored on their devices than the devices themselves. In this context, the device is merely an access point for what matters most to people: their photos/memories, files and documents and other important information. That’s what OneDrive delivers – the ability to access that content anytime, anywhere, regardless of the device used.
How is OneDrive protecting the privacy and security of its customers?
With 250 million customers, OneDrive still trails other cloud services – such as iCloud – in number of users. How will OneDrive remedy this in the next fiscal year?
We’re excited about OneDrive’s growth and momentum in the past year alone. We’ve been on a steady trajectory upward and continue to create a great experience that people have said they love and works seamlessly with Windows, Office, Windows Phone, Xbox and other devices.
OneDrive and Windows 8.1 integration seems to be similar to what Google is doing with Chromebook making GoogleDrive a key component. Are you worried?
No. Windows is the leading OS and OneDrive is built-in to Windows 8.1 – as soon as you sign in you get access to all your files. OneDrive is now the default place to save documents and your camera roll. Your files in OneDrive and on your device behave exactly the same way across your apps, as a part of your search results, and much more. Overall, OneDrive is a richer, more integrated part of Windows 8.1 and other apps than any other cloud storage service.
OneDrive is an important part of the One Microsoft ecosystem, it offers a single online destination that seamlessly connects the devices and services offered by Microsoft – from Windows and Windows Phone to Office to Surface to Xbox – making customers’ information instantly available at their fingertips, anytime, anywhere, on the devices they use every day. Beyond that, we do not speculate on future products or services.
- Microsoft's cloud business targeted by EU antitrust regulators
- Microsoft News: Microsoft faces 'cloud troubles' in Europe
- Microsoft’s cloud business targeted by EU antitrust regulators
- Digital legacy: Who gets your cloud storage when you die?
- pCloud offers a lifetime of security for one affordable price
- Microsoft is putting OneDrive ads in Windows 10’s File Explorer
- Nutanix CEO’s Cloud Mission: Subscribe To Simpler Solutions
- Get the Most Out of Google With A Google One Storage Subscription | Digital Trends
- Mirae Mutual Fund files for cloud computing fund
- Microsoft Confirms Windows Wiping Tool Leaves User Data on Disk (Updated)
- The best Microsoft Office and Microsoft 365 deals in April 2022
- Microsoft tries putting adverts in Windows’ file manager
- Microsoft says Windows 11 File Explorer ads were ‘not intended to be published externally’
- Curious about cloud computing? Here's everything you need to know
- Xbox Cloud Gaming: everything you need to know
- Microsoft (MSFT) Ads in Windows Could Drive Product Adoption
- What is hybrid cloud? | Digital Trends
- Meet The Ex-Googlers Helping Their Former Bosses Beat Microsoft To Your Office Phone
- The tyranny of Microsoft Excel may finally be over
- How Much Storage Space Do You Need on Your iPhone?
Microsoft's personal cloud storage OneDrive on offer in Vietnam have 1135 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at March 27, 2014. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.