by Nguyen Xuan Man Formerly, the married couple earned their living in town: Ket as a street vegetable vendor and her husband Duong as a porter. On their paltry income, with three little mouths to feed, they could hardly make ends meet. One day, Ket met Thu’s wife, a rice dealer, at the marketplace. When the latter complained that owing to her family’s poor living conditions in the urban centre, her husband had made up his mind to take his whole family to the mountainous province of Lao Cai to settle down under the land-reclaiming programme of the central authorities, Ket persuaded her husband to follow their example. Duong agreed with his wife’s advice at once. After leaving his native village for town to work hard as a porter, getting married and having three kids, he had led a life of dire poverty, without a small plot of land of his own to rig up a decent-looking hut. “In that highland region with a small population, we’ll be able to farm a large piece of land provided free of charge by the local authorities, our children won’t go hungry any more and we’ll enjoy a better life,” he said to… Read full this story
- Why the n-word doesn't go away
- 'Collusion,' 'ghosting,' 'POTUS' top list of banished words for 2019
- Trump told lawmakers he prefers word 'strike' to government shutdown, sources say
- Chrissy Metz denies calling Alison Brie the b-word at the Golden Globes
- 'Liberal' isn't such a dirty word anymore
- Presidential address: The one word Trump didn't say
- The revealing words Trump said about Pelosi's trip
- Pence's shocking use of Martin Luther King's words
- Native American elder Nathan Phillips, in his own words
- White House not tamping down tensions after Bolton seen holding notepad with words '5000 troops to Colombia'
Her First&Last Words have 300 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at February 16, 2014. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.