Wargaming today announced that the company’s free-to-play MMO World of Tanks had 1.114 million concurrent players on the game’s Russian server cluster January 19, representing a record high for the game.
Wargaming vice president of publishing Andrei Yarantsau said the previous concurrent player record was around 900,000. More than 75 million people around the world have a registered World of Tanks account.
The concurrent player figure for World of Tanks may sound big, but it pales in comparison to the 5 million concurrent number that Riot Games announced for League of Legends in March 2013.
Importantly, the 1.1 million concurrent figure for World of Tanks says nothing about engagement levels–notably, how much real-world money players are spending.
Looking ahead, Yarantsau said World of Tanks is “set to scale even greater heights” in 2014 with the arrival of “considerable improvements” for the game. World of Tanks is currently in beta for Xbox 360.
- Rugby League World Cup 2021 To Go Ahead
- Battle Over Super League Begins With Letters, Threats and Banners
- Aguero to leave Man City at season's end - Premier League transfer news
- The Super League Thought It Had a Silent Partner: FIFA
- European Super League: Leeds and Liverpool protest, Chelsea and Man City threat made
- U.S. to Suspend Most Travel From Europe; N.B.A. Pauses After Player Gets Virus
- 7 talking points from rugby league weekend as Wigan open up two-point gap at top
- Overwatch League Starts Strong on Ambitious Global Schedule
- 'League of Legends' Team Liquid & G2 detail their strategy for world championship success
- How DreamWorks Animation & Universal Set A $55M+ Record Opening For ‘Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World’
- For Euro Finalist Italy, missing the World Cup wasn’t the end
- Liverpool hero names two Reds legends who would improve Jurgen Klopp's XI - EXCLUSIVE
- League of Legends 2020 Championship Pushing Through in China | Digital Trends
- Manchester United legend Peter Schmeichel reveals why team could struggle in Europa League final
- Jurgen Klopp makes honest Man Utd admission as Liverpool boss sets Champions League task
- Chelsea staff 'worried' as three players hint at transfer exits following Marc Guehi move
- Man Utd could use two players in Raphael Varane swap deal but still face £42.5m payout
- Man Utd star Marcus Rashford fires emotional Man City warning with Europa League 'promise'
- Chelsea star Jorginho a 'totally different player' amid Euro 2020 heroics - EXCLUSIVE
- Thousands gather to bid final farewell to goalkeeper legend Gordon Banks
World of Tanks reaches 1.1M concurrent players, still nowhere close to League of Legends have 380 words, post on www.gamespot.com at January 21, 2014. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.