When Lindsey Vonn announced that a lingering knee injury will force her to miss the Winter Olympics , many began to wonder who on the American squad will fill her popularity vacuum in Sochi, Russia next month. Shaun White, an action-sports icon since his teen years, is one popular choice. Lolo Jones , the hurdler-turned-bobsledder who became a media darling during the 2012 Olympics, is another possibility. See also: This Mom Is the Most Inspiring Olympic Hopeful You’ve Never Heard Of But perhaps American sports fans should instead consider a motley crew composed of the unlikeliest of parts: a restaurant manager, a middle-school science teacher, an engineer and a college student. Together, they make up the U.S. men’s curling team that will compete this February in Sochi. Unlike the Games’ biggest stars, the American curlers’ workaday existences will be interrupted by bright lights, international coverage and — just maybe — glory for one brief moment when their obscure sport takes the world stage. Like many lesser-known Olympians, however, the American curlers represent the original spirit of a modern Games increasingly overrun by commercialism. Four Guys From Minnesota “Any money we make at a tournament goes into our team account to… Read full this story
- I Know How Laverne Cox Feels. It Just Happened to Me, Too.
- Defined By 1968 Olympics Silent Podium Protest Whose Message Is Now Crystal Clear, Tommie Smith Is Poised To Stand Atop New Platform As ‘With Drawn Arms’ Docu Is Shopped To Distributors
- Stacy Lewis goes into U.S. Women’s Open with Olympic hopes revived
- Paes eyeing ‘unbreakable’ record eighth straight Olympics in Tokyo
- The wildly popular £18 Toni & Guy Deep Barrel Hair Waver is back in stock and on sale with 55% off
- U.S. says it won't punish athletes for peacefully protesting at Olympic Games
- Aliphine Tuliamuk announces pregnancy, still plans to run marathon at Olympics
- Normal People’s Paul Mescal reveals hilarious truth behind THOSE sex scenes – including fake sweat making fart noises
- Actor Laverne Cox Claims to Be Victim of Transphobic Attack in L.A.: The Guy Was Hitting My Friend
- The Mandalorian digitally erases 'jeans guy' who made it viral after appearing on Chapter 12 episode... and fans are not happy: 'I'm surprised how bothered I am'
The 4 Normal Guys Who Just Happen to Be Olympic Curlers have 363 words, post on mashable.com at January 14, 2014. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.