Katherine Tallmadge, M.A., R.D., is a registered dietitian; author of “Diet Simple: 195 Mental Tricks, Substitutions, Habits & Inspirations” (LifeLine Press, 2011); and a frequent national commentator on nutrition topics. Tallmadge contributed this article to LiveScience’s Expert Voices: Op-Ed & Insights.Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) continue to spark passionate debate: Emotions run high regarding studies of the impacts of GMOs on health and the environment, and much attention has been focused on one product widely made from GMO sources: soybean oil.Common in processed foods in both GMO and non-GMO formulations, soybean oil has high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, which have a well-studied relationship to inflammation, a known risk factor for heart disease, cancer, arthritis and a host of other diseases.Recently, the topic came to mind when I was interviewed about GMOs on CNN’s “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer” as they reported that Chipotle — the fast-food restaurant chain, which earned $2.73 billion last year, in part based on their reputation of using environmentally friendly ingredients — disclosed that it is using genetically modified soybean oil, and many genetically modified ingredients, in its dishes.Most restaurants and food companies in the United States use GMOs , though they may not disclose it.Genetically modified… Read full this story
- Nikki Haley Shows How to Exploit a Crisis With Op-Ed on Anonymous White House Writer
- Op-Ed: My daughter was murdered, but it was misguided mental health laws that put her in danger
- Op-Ed: This new coronavirus was preventable. But we never seem to learn the lessons of former outbreaks
- Op-Ed: The new coronavirus isn’t a threat to people in the United States — but flu is
- Op-Ed: International overreaction to the coronavirus is more dangerous than the virus itself
- Op-Ed: California calls itself a ‘reproductive freedom’ state. Here’s how it can make good on that
- Op-Ed: Republicans have a clear message on immigration. Why don’t the Democrats?
- Op-Ed: There are right — and wrong — ways to court voters of color
- Op-Ed: Hal Miller kept a key piece of L.A.'s black history alive. Now he’s gone
- Infection Control: Why Doctors Over-Prescribe Antibiotics (Op-Ed)
GMOs Are a Grand Experiment on Health, Environment (Op-Ed) have 359 words, post on www.livescience.com at July 11, 2013. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.