beta program . Swype is a custom touchscreen keyboard that allows users to input text by swiping a thumb or finger over the letters that make up a word. It allows users to type very quickly and accurately on a touchscreen device. We were really impressed with its efficacy when we first put it to the test back in 2010. For a detailed description of how the swiping text input works, you can refer to our review . The Swype keyboard is licensed by several major handset manufacturers, including Samsung and Motorola, and has shipped on a number of popular Android smartphones. The keyboard has also been available for individual users to download through a beta program. Swype has become highly popular among Android enthusiasts. A number of similar third-party keyboards also gained popularity. Nuance built a competing keyboard called FlexT9 after acquiring ShapeWriter in 2010. FlexT9 included Nuance's mobile speech recognition technology alongside a swiping keyboard. Looking to further improve its implementation and gain critical intellectual property, Nuance acquired Swype last year in a $102 million deal. Swype's innovative input method was created by Cliff Kushler, an accessibility researcher who is also credited as one of the original inventors… Read full this story
- The written word may not be dying out but the importance of how we use it is
- Who will defend the defenders of free speech? How Sweden is tackling threats against politicians and journalists
- Cabinet reshuffle predictions: Who's tipped for the sack and who could get promoted in Theresa May's Tory shake-up?
- Andrea Cail: Help stroke victims regain the power of speech
- Ian Austin: There is nothing to celebrate in Powell's shameful words
- The key passages from Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour conference speech – and what he REALLY meant by it all
- Farming feature: farmers armed with capital and technical expertise will prevail, experts predict
- How the Tories could cling to power WITHOUT a majority in parliament – as hung parliament sparks scramble for deal
- Boris hits right note with Shropshire MPs over Brexit speech
- What is autism spectrum disorder, what are the early signs, symptoms and causes and can you get tested for it during pregnancy?
Swype keyboard gets major update with speech support and word prediction have 350 words, post on arstechnica.com at June 23, 2012. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.