As Barry Bonds sits at a defendant’s table in San Francisco –his reputation already in tatters, his sole purpose now juststaying out of jail – we can’t help but be reminded of a downrightoffensive time in baseball’s history.Sure was fun, wasn’t it?No, we’re not glorifying sluggers with ever-growing heads andenough acne to watch ”Hannah Montana” turning the nationalpastime into something akin to a video game. Pumped-up playerswhacking balls over the fence with such numbing regularity andfearsome power that those stats should be accompanied by anasterisk, or at least a ”Wii.”But chicks still dig the long ball – and so do the guys.The grand ol’ game has been putting up way too many scores thatresemble a World Cup or the NHL. 1-0. 2-1. 3-2. And unlike soccerand hockey, which at least provide a lot of running and skating inbetween all that lack of scoring, baseball isn’t exactly brimmingwith excitement when a contest turns into nothing but a series offlailing swings, weak grounders and soft pop-ups.Yep, as opening day approaches, there’s clearly a need to juiceup baseball – only this time, let’s do it legally.”The Year of the Pitcher will continue,” Oakland A’s managerBob Geren said during spring training. ”The pitching seems… Read full this story
- Time to rename India
- Condo maintenance fund appropriation must be treated as criminal offense
- Ministry wants drug abuse treated as criminal offense
- Christchurch urologist's 'offensive' presentation triggers resignation of society president
- Contestant Rachael Kirkconnell Apologizes For ‘Offensive and Racist’ Actions
- Transcript: Rep. Adam Kinzinger on "Face the Nation," February 28, 2021
- 'The Fight of the Century': A divided US nation 50 years on
- Kurdish-German footballer joins hunger strike against Turkish Afrin offensive
- The Bachelor contestant Rachael Kirkconnell issues an apology for previous 'offensive and racist' actions: 'I'm here to say I was wrong'
- Teacher Arrested for Possessing Offensive Images of Children
‘Bout time for national pastime to get offensive have 307 words, post on www.foxsports.com at March 29, 2011. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.