In a bizarre twist in the erratic career of America’s former princess of pop, Britney Spears has sparked speculation she may be suffering some kind of breakdown after she shaved off her own hair in a shop window.
Spears turned up at a Los Angeles hairdressing salon late on Friday evening, but when staff apparently refused her request for such a dramatic cut, she picked up the electric clippers herself and, as onlookers gawped through the glass, sliced off her long brown hair.
Afterwards, the bald pop star strode into a nearby tattoo parlour in the LA suburb of Sherman Oaks. There, again as passers-by gathered, the 25-year-old had a pair of pink and red lips tattooed on her wrist and a cross on her hip.
As news of her actions began to spread, websites and cable news channels were buzzing with details – and online video – of Spears’ appearance. Tattoo store employee Emily Wynne-Hughes told Usmagazine.com Britney had arrived agitated and, when asked why she had shaved her head, replied: ‘I don’t want anyone touching me. I’m tired of everybody touching me.’ Hughes added: ‘She wasn’t making sense at all and you could tell she’s not in a good place. After she left, we just looked around and said to each other, “We just saw a huge celebrity on the verge of a nervous breakdown”.’
Spears has lived almost all her life in the harsh glare of the public eye. From Disney child star to teen pop idol to young mother, she has rarely been out of the spotlight that made her world- famous and her albums bestsellers.
But this weekend the cameras were on a different young woman. Not only her hair is gone. Gone too is the perfectly-toned physique of her videos and the fashionable outfits that inspired a generation of American youngsters. They have been replaced by an image of a pale shaven-headed woman, puffy-faced, and wearing a drab grey sweatshirt.
In a nation still agog at the death of reality TV star Anna Nicole Smith, many now fear Spears could follow her down that doomed road. It is a stunning turnaround for a woman who just a few months ago was still married with two children and plotting her comeback album that was set to relaunch her career.
But now the image of a bald, shaven Spears is the talk of America. The news has been given blanket coverage on papers, cable channels and gossip websites. ‘Bald Britney Breakdown!’ declared the influential Drudge website.
Los Angeles is long-used to the unusual shenanigans of its celebrity denizens, but few will ever have witnessed scenes as odd as those on Ventura Boulevard when a black SUV pulled up outside a closed hair-dressing salon just before 7pm. As staff were called to reopen the business Spears apparently wept inside her car, then went inside and asked to have her hair cut off. When staff refused to carry out the dramatic request, Spears picked up the electric shears herself. Beginning at the front of her head, she started shaving and her dyed black hair fell to the floor in long strands. At times she paused and looked in the mirror or at photographers gathered outside, then completed the task. She had gone from gorgeous pop idol to grim GI Jane.
But the night was not over. Spears next headed for a nearby tattoo parlour called Body and Soul. By this time fans, gawkers and paparazzi had gathered outside. The throng was so big police were called to control the crowd. In front of a phalanx of cameras Spears proceeded to get a tattoo on her wrist of a pair of lips. Then, trying to hide her lack of hair under a grey, hooded tracksuit top, she fought her way through the crowd, helped by police, and drove off in the direction of her home. ‘We could see her in the mirror and her head is completely shaved. It looks terrible,’ Spears fan Angelique Uram told a local TV station. The latest and most bizarre – but probably not the last – incident in the destruction of Spears’ career and reputation was over.
Spears has struggled to make the transition to adult star, a path littered with far more failures than successes. At the same time, her personal life has collapsed. At 25 she is twice divorced and the mother of two children. Her marriage to her second husband, Keven Federline, broke up late last year.
Since the split Spears has embarked on binge of hardcore partying. With celebrity friends such as socialite Paris Hilton and actress Lindsay Lohan, her drunken exploits have been relentlessly chronicled. Along with Hilton, she made the cover of Newsweek in an issue headlined ‘The Girls Gone Wild Effect’. That sentiment seemed especially true after a series of evenings out in which Spears was not wearing underwear, established beyond doubt in dozens of explicit pictures.
Last week one of Spears’ most trusted former confidantes, Felicia Culotta, went public with her concerns for her old boss. Culotta spent most of the past 10 years as one of Spears’ personal assistants and posted an email on a fan website warning that Spears was in the middle of a huge personal crisis. She also admitted she was powerless to help. ‘I cannot save her from herself nor can I commit her to any type of treatment programme against her wishes,’ Culotta wrote.
- Britney's great escape! Spears joyfully jumps into the ocean on idyllic Hawaii getaway... amid conservatorship battle with her father Jamie
- Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis 'were never going to get married' and 'butted heads on many occasions'
- Olivia Wilde pictured out after split from fiance Jason Sudeikis... as it's revealed they're 'already in a great co-parenting routine' together
- Prez, PM, leaders across parties condole Ahmed Patel's death
- Vasan to launch new party on Nov. 28
- Red hot Britney Spears pole dances and rides a mechanical guitar in a tiny costume as she performs a steamy medley of her greatest hits at the Billboard Music Awards
- 'Do not come for me or the ones I love anymore!' Jamie Lynn Spears fiercely defends her sister Britney from cruel trolls amid her mental health woes
- Lily Allen and husband David Harbour mark her daughter Ethel's 9th birthday with a party at home complete with balloons, fairy lights, and cacti cakes
- Olivia Wilde pictured for the first time since news broke of her shock split from Jason Sudeikis as she goes on solo grocery run
- Crew of stricken Japanese cargo ship 'were having a birthday party' as the vessel was torn apart on the coral reef causing disastrous oil slick off Mauritius, it is claimed
- Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis SHOCK SPLIT! Actors quietly break off their engagement after seven years as they adjust to co-parenting their children
- Olivia Wilde says her children are 'my everythings' following her shocking split from her fiancé Jason Sudeikis
- British tourists throw punches in wild brawls caught on camera inside flash five-star Dubai hotel following late-night parties
- Olivia Wilde rocks out in a casual brown fleece jacket as she picks up a guitar in Los Angeles on Black Friday
- Olivia Wilde brands Donald Trump a 'loser' as she visits refugee children in Amman
- Rob Reiner: ‘The Republican Party Is Out of It’s Collective F**king Mind’
- The Sexual Assault Lawsuit Against Ed Henry Just Took a Wild Turn
- Mother who has splurged £15,000 on lavish parties for her daughter reveals she splashed out £500 on a Hollywood-style cinema night for her eighth birthday
- Heavily pregnant Olivia Wilde reveals she's expecting a baby girl with fiance Jason Sudeikis
- Jeremy Corbyn 'to have Labour whip suspended for at least three months' - amid growing threat of leadership contest against Keir Starmer for the move
Months of wild partying. And now Britney shears in public have 1281 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 18, 2007. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.